The Essential Guide To Sugar Scrubs
Sugar scrubs are a great way to get naturally soft skin right in your own shower. But sugar scrubs pack a much bigger punch to your skincare routine than just adding a wonderful scent to your shower and softer skin. Keep reading to learn all about sugar scrubs; including their benefits, how to use them, and our best sugar scrubs to add to your skincare routine.
What Is A Sugar Scrub?
Our skin naturally sheds dead skin cells every 30 days or so. Sometimes the cells don't shed completely resulting in dry, flaky patches, and clogged pores. A sugar scrub is a skincare product that is used to mechanically exfoliate dead skin cell buildup from the surface of your skin. They are formulated with sugar as the main ingredient for gentle yet effective exfoliation. The sugar is mixed with different oils to provide a lubricant for the sugar and to moisturize your skin.
There are two different ways the oils can be mixed with the sugar. The first is that the oil is just in the sugar. The two will separate and will need to be mixed back together with every use. This type can leave you feeling oily and your tub can be left looking like an oil slick. The other way is to emulsify or whip the scrub. We add additional plant based ingredients to our sugar scrubs to keep sugar suspended throughout the oil. No stirring is needed! This type of scrub with feel much more thick and creamy. Whipped sugar scrubs will leave you feeling like you just put on lotion!
Benefits Of Sugar Scrubs
These benefits are definitely worth noting!
- Unclogs Pores & Frees Ingrown Hairs- Exfoliating removes the dirt and debris that can clog up our skin halting the natural shedding process. It can help draw out blackheads and whiteheads. Exfoliating can help free ingrown hairs from under the skin's surface. (Using a sugar scrub on your legs before shaving will give you an AMAZING shave result!)
- Prevents Blemishes- Exfoliating can also help prevent future blemishes from popping up. Exfoliators do not "extract" blemishes. Rather, they draw out the congestion allowing your body to naturally heal on it's own. Clearing off the dirt, debris, and dead skin cells can help prevent new blemishes.
- Evens Out Skin Tone- Exfoliating helps to rejuvenate and re-energize new skin cells. It works to turn-over and encourage your skin tissue to grow which leads to younger looking skin overall!
- Improves Texture- As we age, our skin's ability to shed dead skin cells slows down. This can lead to more clogging, blemishes, and uneven texture. This can actually enhance the look of fine lines and wrinkles! Exfoliating removes dead skin cells and rejuvenates new ones, making your skin appear smoother and improving texture.
- Helps Your Other Skincare Products- When that layer of dead skin is removed and fresh cells are open and free, your other skincare products will be better able to access your pores and do their job more efficiently.
How Do You Use A Sugar Scrub?
As if the above benefits of using a sugar scrub isn't totally amazing enough, you will be amazed at just how easy adding a sugar scrub to your skincare routine can be.
You can use sugar scrubs in your shower or at your sink, you will just need warm running water.
- Wet your skin and clean your skin using soap. We recommend our Oatmeal Milk & Honey Goat Milk Soap.
- Scoop out a small amount of sugar scrub and apply to skin. Try not to get water into the container as this can cause mold to grow in your scrub. Gently massage onto your face, arms, legs, torso, anywhere you'd like to exfoliate. Pay special attention to your elbows, knees, and heels. Use light pressure in a circular motion. You will feel the sugar begin to melt away.
- Rinse off with warm water to reveal beautiful, silky smooth skin.
- Dry your skin and apply any moisturizers or skincare treatments. I often find that I don't need a moisturizer after using our sugar scrubs as they are very hydrating. If you do need an additional moisturizer, we suggest our Oatmeal Milk & Honey Goat Milk Lotion.
So, just how often can you use a sugar scrub? It's recommended to exfoliate using a sugar scrub up to twice per week for the maximum benefits. If you have more sensitive skin you may find just once a week is perfect for you.
Sugar Scrubs That We Recommend
Here's a few of our favorite Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrubs from our goat milk skincare line. All of our sugar scrubs are infused with real goat milk from our own herd of goats.
Oatmeal Milk & Honey Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub-
This all-natural Oatmeal Milk & Honey Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub has a touch of raw honey and ground oats in addition to the goat milk. A warm, inviting scent of creamy milk, sweet honey, and soothing oatmeal. This is one of our best selling scrubs!
Charcoal With Tea Tree & Lemongrass Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub-
This detoxifying Charcoal With Tea Tree & Lemongrass Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub has a fresh lemongrass scent with slight notes of the tea tree oil. This Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub is an excellent choice for acne prone skin.
Vanilla Cafe Latte Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub-
This Vanilla Cafe Latte Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub smells like you just walked into a coffeehouse! Fragrances of vanilla caramel coffee yumminess fills the air. This scrub contains coffee grounds for a more aggressive exfoliation. Due to the coffee granule size and shape, we don't recommend using this scrub on your face. It's great for hands, feet, elbows, and heels!
Lemon Sugar Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub-
This Lemon Sugar Goat Milk Whipped Sugar Scrub is our best selling sugar scrub! There is just something amazing about energizing lemon blended with sweet sugar. This scrub also has lemon zest added.
I hope you have learned a lot about sugar scrubs and how best to add them to your skincare routine! Have any questions about sugar scrubs? Leave them below and I will answer them.
Want to learn more about Blue Heron Farm?
Check us out on Facebook! BlueHeronFarmIndiana